On August 30, 1823, one month after George Birkbeck opened the Mechanics' Institute in Liverpool, John Knight and Henry Lacey launched the Mechanic's Magazine, Museum, Register, Journal and Gazette. The magazine was "published every Saturday morning" and sold for threepence per copy. According to Stanford Libraries SearchWorks, the magazine continued to publish through 138 volumes, ending publication in 1893. The magazine worked closely with the London Mechanics' Institute, publishing as a Supplement to Vol. 1 on March 13, 1824 the transcript of the "Quarterly General Meeting of the London Mechanics' Institution, March 3rd 1824."